Dervaig (pronounced Dervig)
The village of Dervaig became a settlement with a church some 900 years ago. The present very distinctive Kilninian church was built in 1905 after the style of Irish ‘pencil’ towered churches.
Renovated in 2004-5, the church is painted white and well worth a closer look for both its architecture and stained glass windows. There is currently a fund-raising effort in progress to have the tower re-painted. (2015)
The mostly residential Main Street was built in 1799 to a plan devised by Alexander Maclean of Coll. There is a modern well stocked Spa shop here near where the original Mull Little Theatre was located before it moved to Tobermory.
Please note that village no longer has any public conveniences.
Dervaig to the southwest of Tobermory and accessed from there via the B8073. The village lies at the end of Glen Bellart where the River Bellart runs into Loch na Cuilce, part of which runs through a large reed bed then under a bridge towards the sea.
An unclassified road runs east from Dervaig along Glen Bellart and on through to Glen Aros where it joins the main A848 Tobermory to Salen road at Aros Bridge.
A short drive from the village is the Old Byre Visitor Centre with a gift shop, café and film show. The Bellachroy Hotel is located at the junction of the main street with the B8073 in the village and is said to be the oldest Inn on Mull.
To the rear of Dervaig (NM 435 532) are two standing stones with three more lying flat. Once hidden by a spruce plantation, the trees have now been harvested and the stones can be clearly seen from the road into Dervaig. There is viewpoint and parking area near the road that is just a short walk from the stones. There is also a very good view from the parking area.
If you are travelling around Mull, Dervaig is one of those places you will almost certainly pass through to get somewhere else on the island. Loch na Cuilce is well worth a look as well as the village itself.
Please note that the images and video content displayed on this site are Copyright © Barry & Mary Turner - 2018 - All Rights Reserved