Glen Gorm Castle
Located at the northern end of the Mishnish region of north Mull and 3.5 miles west of Tobermory. It overlooks the northern exit of the Sound of Mull with the islands of Coll and Tiree to the west and Ardnamurchan to the north.
The castle is reached via an unclassified road at the junction with the B882 Dervaig road and Rockfield Road, Tobermory. It is well signposted.
The road is single track and passes through Forestry commission plantations below Meall An Inbhire hill that is home to several wireless and telephone masts. Many of the trees have recently (2014-15) been harvested and new views opened up that have been obscured for years.
Winding its way around the glens, the road gives way to some spectacular views on good days with Glen Gorm Castle looking almost fairy tale with its towers.
The Castle (also known as Castle Sorn) was completed in 1860 by the new owner of the Mishnish estate one James Forsyth of Quinish.
Local history relates that Forsyth was a hated figure on Mull, having forcibly cleared many crofters from the village of Sorne (where the castle stands) to build his house.
He was apparently told by an elderly resident of Sorne that he would never live in the house and did in fact die just before the Castle was completed.
There are tearooms at the Castle together with a very good vegetable garden. The venue can be booked for weddings and also provides bed and breakfast accommodation. Parking at the Castle is somewhat limited but spaces are also available for walkers at another cap park a short distance away.
Please note that the images and video content displayed on this site are Copyright © Barry & Mary Turner - 2016 - All Rights Reserved