Is the area located at the eastern end of Loch na Keal between Killiechronan to the north and Knock to the south. Bisected by the B8035 Salen to Gribun road, Gruline is straddled by both Forestry Commission plantations and agricultural land.
The B8035 road branches off to the north as the B8073 which then passes through Killichronan and along the northern shore of Loch na Keal on to Ulva and beyond.
Just south of the junction on the east side of the road is the Church of Saint Columba, a Scottish Episcopal church.
Built in 1873, Saint Columba’s was the first new church to be consecrated (in 1875) on Mull for several hundred years with services conducted in English in the mornings and in Gaelic in the evenings. It is a very pretty church nestling amongst the trees just before the road enters woodland .
Located to the south-east of Gruline and Knock is Loch Ba with the River Ba flowing west from it. The river then passes under the narrow road bridge at Knock before then meandering west and north alongside the B8035. The river then runs north through agricultural land towards the Killiechronan Estate before flowing into the estuary and entering Loch na Keal in front of the Killiechronan camp site.
The fields around Gruline are very attractive to Pink Footed Geese and large flocks can often be seen in the area. Red deer are common in the Gruline area and there is a small herd on non-native Fallow Deer living in the woods around the Knock estate.
Loch Ba itself is very popular with walkers and is featured separately in Places here.
The road south from Salen is very busy in the summer months as it is the main route to Ulva Ferry, West Mull, Treshnish and Dervaig via the B8073 and to Gribun, Loch Scridain, Pennyghael and the Ross of Mull via the B8035.
That said, the area has its own resident Golden and White Tailed Eagles, and is home to many other species of bird. There are Otters to be seen on the shores of Loch na Keal.
Please note that the images and video content displayed on this site are Copyright © Barry & Mary Turner - 2016 - All Rights Reserved